Volunteers are an invaluable part of our philosophy of care, whether working behind the scenes or interacting with patients, families and staff. Every volunteer position is important and provides a genuine service to our hospital and patients. As a volunteer at Shriners Hospitals for Children® — Cincinnati you will discover a wealth of benefits, including:
- An opportunity to provide support to patients and their families so their hospital stay can be more pleasant
- Experience working with kids and families from diverse cultures
- Working in an environment that fosters creativity and independence
- Exposure to a unique health care environment
- Flexible work hours
- A sense of satisfaction that comes from giving of yourself to others
Volunteer placement is based on the needs of our hospital, the kind of work you wish to do and the times you are available. We work hard to match your interests and talents with the needs of the hospital so that you will have a meaningful volunteer experience.
Here are the requirements for becoming a volunteer:
- You must be at least 16 years old.
- You must submit to a complete background check, including references, criminal records and child abuse history.
- You must have up-to-date vaccinations, including tuberculosis and other infectious diseases.
- You must take a drug test.
- You must attend a comprehensive orientation prior to beginning your volunteer position.
If you would like to apply to become a volunteer, download the volunteer application.
If an appropriate volunteer position is available, you will be contacted for an interview and hospital tour. If no appropriate openings are available when your application is received, we will keep your application on file for three months.
Please note that we do not have positions for volunteers to read to our patients. Volunteer positions that work directly with patients are funneled through our child life department.
We do not have in-hospital volunteer opportunities for groups, such as youth groups or scouts groups. We do have service project ideas, please contact Lisa Sears at 513-872-6207 for more information and a copy of our brochure.
If you have questions about the volunteer program, contact Lisa Sears at the above number.