Due to the popularity of our volunteer program, we have a wait list that extends through fall 2012, except for drivers to transport patients and families in our vans. This is dependent upon volunteers leaving our program.
Our volunteers help to complement our care provided to our patients by assisting in patient care or support areas. Patient care areas include recreation therapy, physical therapy, or nursing. Support areas include performing clerical tasks (computer skills not required), transporting our patients and their families in our vans, delivering supplies, or other tasks. Only weekdays are available for volunteers at this time.
We try to place volunteers based on the needs of our hospital and on interest and availability so that volunteers will have a meaningful experience.
Here are our requirements to becoming a volunteer:
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Must be available to volunteer two hours per week during the weekdays for at least five months; summer terms are eight weeks
- Supply two references
- Agree to a criminal background check (conducted for those 18 years and older)
- Submit to a drug test
- Provide proof of immunizations or disease by your physician for measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), varicella (chicken pox), tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (Tdap)
- Current TB skin test or chest x-ray
If you would like to become a volunteer, download the volunteer application.
We keep all volunteer applications active for six months. However, due to the volume of applications we receive, please re-apply so that we can have your most current information. This will be a way to let us know you are still interested in volunteering and to ensure we can better match any available opportunities with your experience. When an appropriate volunteer position is available, you will be contacted for an interview.
If you have any questions, please contact the volunteer office at 951-3646 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.