Volunteers are an invaluable part of our philosophy of care, whether working behind the scenes or interacting with patients, families and staff. Every volunteer position is important and provides a genuine service to our hospital and patients. As a volunteer at Shriners Hospitals for Children® — Houston you’ll discover a wealth of benefits, including:
- An opportunity to provide support to patients and their families so their hospital stay can be more pleasant
- Experience working with kids and families from diverse cultures
- Working in an environment that fosters creativity and independence
- Exposure to a unique health care environment
- Flexible work hours
- A sense of satisfaction that comes from giving of yourself to others
Volunteer placement is based on the needs of our hospital, the kind of work you wish to do and the times you are available. We work hard to match your interests and talents with the needs of the hospital so that you will have a meaningful volunteer experience.
Here are the requirements for becoming a volunteer:
- You must be at least 16 years old.
- You must commit to a minimum of 8.33 hours per month.
- You must submit to a complete background check, including references, criminal records and child abuse history.
- You must have up-to-date vaccinations, including tuberculosis and other infectious diseases.
- You must take a drug test.
- You must attend a comprehensive orientation prior to beginning your volunteer position.
If you’d like to apply to become a volunteer, contact Ed Hornrighausen, director of volunteers, at 713-793-3709.
If an appropriate volunteer position is available, you will be contacted for an interview and hospital tour. If no appropriate openings are available when your application is received, we will keep your application on file for three months.