[Salt Lake City, UT]
Volunteers are an invaluable part of our philosophy of care, whether working behind the scenes or interacting with patients, families and staff. Every volunteer position is important and provides a genuine service to our hospital and patients. As a volunteer at Shriners Hospitals for Children® — Salt Lake City you will discover a wealth of benefits, including:
- An opportunity to provide support to patients and their families so their hospital stay can be more pleasant
- Experience working with kids and families from diverse cultures
- Working in an environment that fosters creativity and independence
- Exposure to a unique health care environment
- A sense of satisfaction that comes from giving of yourself to others
Volunteer placement is based on the needs of our hospital, the kind of work you wish to do and the times you are available. We work hard to match your interests and talents with the needs of the hospital so that you will have a meaningful volunteer experience.
Volunteer applications are available at the hospital or you can call volunteer services at 801-536–3711 and ask that an application be mailed to you.
The Application Process – Volunteer applicants must:
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Provide two references
- Commit to at least one shift per week and to a minimum total hours as follows:
- Non-students – 75 hours
- Students – 50 hours
- Complete an interview/orientation with the hospital’s volunteer coordinator.
Meeting Health Requirements – Volunteer applicants must:
- Be screened for tuberculosis
- Be immunized or provide a vaccination record to show they have been immunized for mumps (MMR) and pertussis (Tdap)
- Satisfy flu shot requiremens during flu season
- Pass a background check (18 or older) and a drug test
Volunteer Placement - Volunteer opportunities include but are not limited to:
- Recreational therapy – evening recreation activities for the patients
- Child life (for child life students only)
- Patient activity coordinators – monitoring of activity/play/waiting areas and interacting with patients and siblings
- Inpatient nursing department – pimarily clerical work
- Physical therapy (for physical therapy students only)
- Prosthetics/Orthotics laboratory (P&O students only)
- Reception desk – greeting and assisting visitors at the front lobby, answering phones
- Hospital vehicle drivers (long-term volunteer work)
- Security desk – early evening assistance to security staff
- Clerical support
If you would like more information about becoming a volunteer or would like to find out what positions in a particular program are currently available, please contact one of our volunteer coordinators (Kathleen or Marie) at 801-536-3711 or send an e-mail to email@example.com. A wait list is maintained for each of the above programs if a volunteer position is not currently available that fits your schedule.