Research is an integral part of Shriners Hospitals for Children — Twin Cities. Our mission is to discover new knowledge that improves the quality of care and the quality of life for children and their families.
Current clinical research studies taking place at Shriners Hospitals for Children — Twin Cities:
- Bilateral Transverse Fibula Deficiency: Long Term Follow Up
- Bracing in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Trial - BrAIST
- Bracing in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Trial – BrAIST II
- Effect of Timing and Skin Graft Donor Site on Long-term Outcomes Following Syndactyly Repair
- Follow-Up Comparison Between Huber Transfer and Superficialis Transfer for Recreation of Thumb opposition in Children with Type II and type IIIa Hypoplastic Thumbs
- Fox Pediatric Spinal Deformity Study
- Limb Length Discrepancy in Congenital Talipes Equinovarus
- Long-term Follow-Up of Meningococcemia Patients
- MIMO Clinical Trial
- MIMO Clinical Trial – Education and Survey
- Outcomes of Physiolysis for Correction of Clinodactyly
- Pediatric Thoracic Volume Modeling Validation Study
- Ponseti Study from 2000 to Present: Comparative Results
- Shelf Procedure as a Primary Treatment for Perthes
- Children’s Spine Foundation Registry
- The Effects of Pollicization on Long Term Hand Function
- The Efficacy of Lumbar Epidural Anesthesia via the Caudal Approach after Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy in Children Undergoing Orthopedic Procedures
- The Treatment of Kienbock’s Disease in the Pediatric Age Group
- Thoracic Volume Modeling in Scheuermann's Kyphosis
- Use of Vacuum Assisted Sponge in Pediatric Wound Infections
Recently published research papers include:
- Correlation between standard upper extremity impairment measures and activity-based function testing in upper extremity cerebral palsy. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 2015; 00(00);1-5. James, M.A., Bagley, A., Vogler, IV, J.B., Davids, J.R. and Van Heest, A.E.
- Affected and Contralateral Hand Strength and Dexterity Measures in Children with Hemiplegic Cerebral Palsy. Journal of Hand Surgery Am. 2015; 40(5):900-7. Tomhave, W. A., Van Heest, A. E., Bagley, A. and James, M. A.
- Tendon Transfer Surgery in Upper-Extremity Cerebral Palsy Is More Effective Than Botulinum Toxin Injections or Regular, Ongoing Therapy. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surg Am. 2015; 97:529-36. Van Heest, A. E., Bagley, A., Molitor, F. and James, M. A.
- Change in Sagittal Plane Alignment Following Surgery for Scheuermann’s Kyphosis. Spine Deformity. 2014;2: 404-409. Ashraf, A., Larson, A. N., Polly, D. W., Ferski, G. J., Guidera, K. J. and Mielke, C. H.
- Successful Spinal Fixation Surgery Following Teriparatide Treatment in an Adolescent Boy with Severe Osteoporosis and Progressive Kyphoscoliosis. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Case Connect. 2014; 4:e89. Oberdorfer, E. Polly, D., Larson-Ode, K., Smith-Wright, D., Guidera, K., Neglia, J. P. and Polgreen, L.
- Hemiepiphysiodesis for correction of angular deformity in pediatric amputees.2013. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics. 2013; 33(7): 737-42. Gyr, B. M., Colmer, H.G., Morel, M. and Ferski, G. J.
- Spinal stenosis frequent in children with multiple hereditary exostoses. Journal of Children’s Orthopaedics. Published online: 19 February 2013. Ashraf, A., Larson, A. N., Ferski, G. J., Mielke, C. H., Wetjen, N.M. and Guidera, K. J.
- Dorsal carpal wedge osteotomy in the arthrogrypotic wrist. Journal of Hand Surgery. 2013;38A:265-270. Van Heest, A. E. and Rodriguez, R.
Gabriela Ferski, RN, MPH, MS
Clinical Research Coordinator
Cary Mielke, MD
Chief of Staff