Visiting a patient
Guidelines for visiting
The healing process is enhanced by the support of family and friends. All visitors must check-in at the reception desk in the hospital lobby.
Our hospital strives to maintain the highest level of patient care, professionalism, cleanliness and safety standards. In order to do so, we require these guidelines be followed:
- Parents or guardians or a designated adult over 18 years of age are welcome to visit 24 hours a day.
- General visiting hours for other visitors are from 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Children ages 6 years or younger are not allowed on the unit. All visiting children must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- Visitors should obtain a visitor's pass, available at the main lobby reception desk, before coming to the unit each day. This needs to be displayed at all times.
- Visitors must respect unit activities and leave the unit if requested by nursing personnel.
- Latex (rubber) balloons are not permitted in the hospital. Patients may receive Mylar balloons.
- Any food brought in must be labeled with the patient’s name, room number, and the date and time.
- The nursing staff makes frequent rounds to check on patients throughout the day, evening and overnight hours.
- Group rounds by orthopaedic surgeons and nurses take place every Friday at approximately 7:30 a.m. Input from patients and families is strongly encouraged during rounds.
- There is a nursing supervisor available at all times if you have any questions or concerns.
- Shriners Hospital for Children — Chicago is a non-smoking facility.
- Patients are not allowed to consume alcohol or smoke while they are patients at the Chicago Shriners Hospital.