Visting a patient
The healing process is enhanced by the support of family and friends. Visitors are a welcome part of patient treatment at the Houston Shriners Hospital. Visitors must check-in at the reception desk in the hospital lobby and record their destination. Visitors will be given a visitor’s badge.
Our hospital strives to maintain the highest level of patient care, professionalism, cleanliness and safety standards. In order to do so, we require these guidelines be followed:
- Parents or guardians, or a designated adult over 18 years of age, are welcome to visit 24 hours a day.
- General visiting hours for other visitors are from 7:30 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- All visiting children must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- All visitors are asked to register at the main lobby reception desk daily, before coming to the unit where they will receive a visitor’s pass to wear during the visit, which must be displayed at all times.
- Visitors must respect unit activities and leave the unit if requested by nursing personnel.
- Latex (rubber) balloons are not permitted in the hospital. Patients may receive Mylar balloons.
- Any food brought in must be labeled with the patient’s name, room number, the date and time.
- Shriners Hospitals for Children — Houston is a non-smoking facility.
- The nursing staff makes frequent rounds to check on patients throughout the day, evening and overnight hours.
- Group rounds by surgeons and nurses take place every Tuesday at approximately 8:30 a.m. Input from patients and families is strongly encouraged during rounds.
- There is a nursing supervisor available at all times if you have any questions or concerns.
- Patients are not allowed to consume alcohol while they are patients at the Houston Shriners Hospital.
Have a good experience? Recognize a staff member!
If you had an excellent experience at Shriners Hospitals for Children — Houston please let us know. You can make sure the nurse who went out of his or her way to make your visit special gets recognized. Nominate the nurse for the DAISY Award in any of our ballots located next to the elevators on the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth floors.
There are also comment cards at the same stations where the good work of any other employee can be recognized as well. We encourage patients, family members or visitors to recognize our dedicated staff.