Welcome to orthopaedics at the Springfield Shriners Hospital
The orthopaedic surgery service at Shriners Hospitals for Children — Springfield includes board-certified pediatric orthopaedic surgeons, orthopaedic surgeons with specialized interests/skills, neurosurgeons and pediatric experts who specialize in the following areas:
- General pediatric orthopaedic surgery
- Complex spine surgery
- Upper extremity and hand surgery
Collaborative approach to care
Our Springfield pediatric orthopaedic staff works collaboratively with primary care physicians, parents and the patient to develop comprehensive treatment plans that meet the individual needs of each patient. Through innovative pediatric care, we instill confidence and teach patients that there are no limits to what they can do. At Shriners Hospitals for Children — Springfield, you can expect to benefit from the expertise of a multidisciplinary team dedicated to the needs of your child. Our hospital helps ensure patients receive an optimal outcome by providing all aspects of inpatient and outpatient pediatric orthopaedic care including surgery, on-site rehabilitation and treatment.
Orthopaedic surgical procedures include:
- General pediatric orthopaedic procedures
- Clubfoot surgery
- Hand and upper-extremity reconstructive surgery
- Hip reconstructive surgery
- Limb lengthening
- Reconstructive surgery to improve gait
- Spinal deformity surgery
Orthopaedic conditions treated include:
Hand and upper-extremity conditions
- Arthrogryposis contractures
- Brachial plexus palsy
- Constriction band syndrome
- Polydactyly, syndactyly
- T.A.R. syndrome
- Ulnar/radial deficiencies
- Supernumerary digits
- Femoral-acetabular impingement (surgical hip dislocation)
- Hip dysplasia/dislocation, DDH
- Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease
- Slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE)
Hip and knee conditions
- Osgood-Schlatter disease
- Blount’s disease, bowed legs, knock knees
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, cavovarus foot deformity
- Cleft foot, polydactyly
- Clubfoot (Ponseti casting)
- Tarsal coalition
- Vertical talus
Shoulder deformity (limited)
- Erb’s palsy
- Trauma reconstruction
- Congenital spine deformities
- Herniated discs
- Infantile scoliosis, syndromic scoliosis
- Juvenile/adolescent idiopathic, neuromuscular and congenital scoliosis
- Scheuermann’s kyphosis, kyphosis
- Skeletal dysplasias
- Spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis
Limb length discrepancy
- Congenital, acquired conditions
Benign bone tumors
- Fibrous dysplasia
- Ollier disease
- Osteiod osteoma, osteoblastoma
- Simple-unicameral bone cyst
- Achondroplasia, pseudoachondroplasia, spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease
- Congenital neuromuscular disorders
- Contractures, hip dysplasia, scoliosis
- Gait disturbances, gait analysis
Muscular dystrophy (MD)
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Facioscapulohumeral dystrophy
- Spinal muscular atrophy
- Includes urology services
Chest wall deformities
- Pectus excavatum
- Pectus carinatum
Bone and mineral disorders
- Rickets (nutritional or genetic)
- Calcium and phosphorous disorders
- Osteogenesis imperfecta
- Associated with orthopaedic conditions
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Lyme disease
Orthopaedic syndromes and diseases treated include:
- DiGeorge syndrome
- Diastrophic dysplasia
- Ehlers-Danlos syndrome
- Fascioscapulohumeral dystrophy
- Fragile X syndrome
- Freeman-Sheldon syndrome
- Gaucher disease (orthopaedic and hip problems associated with this disease only)
- Goldenhar syndrome (hemifacial microsomia)
- Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber syndrome
- Klipple-Feil syndrome
- Larsen syndrome
- Marfan syndrome
- Mobius syndrome
- Nail-patella syndrome
- Neurofibromatosis-tibial pseudoarthrosis
- Poland syndrome
- Prader-Willi syndrome
- Rett syndrome
- Schwartz-Jampel syndrome
- Stickler syndrome
- Turner syndrome
- Treacher Collins syndrome
- Werding-Hoffmann disease
- Williams syndrome
The medical team
James F. Mooney, III, M.D., Chief of Staff
John DeWeese, M.D.
Philip W. Mack, M.D.
Prerana Patel, M.D.
Rubini Pathy, M.D., FRCSC
Advanced Practice Professionals
Amy L. Arguin, PNP, MSN
Sarah A. Durgin, MHS, PA-C
Keri A. Garry, MSN, CPNP
R. Scott Cowan, M.D.
Louis Adler, M.D.
Jeffrey C. Wint, M.D.
Bruce I. Wintman, M.D.
Michael S. Kain, M.D.
Lawrence C. Kaplan, M.D., ScM, FAAP
Steven W. Hwang, M.D.
Gregory T. Banever, M.D.
Kevin P. Moriarty, M.D., FACS, FAAP
David B. Tashjian, M.D., FAAP
Michael V. Tirabassi, M.D.
Christina Kim, M.D.
John H. Makari, MD, FAAP, FACS
Philip B. Stoddard, M.D., Director of Cleft Lip and Palate Clinic
Charles Castiglione, M.D., FACS
Joyce K. McIntyre, M.D.
Kristin Stueber, M.D.
Peter R. Blier, Ph.D., M.D.
Lawrence Zemel, M.D.
Eric T. Tolo, M.D.
Sports Health and Medicine
Julio A. Martínez-Silvestrini, M.D.
Brianna Santiago, MBA, LATC
Samantha Shirley, MS, LATC
To schedule an appointment, call new patient access at 413-735-1234 or 800-322-5905.