Skip to navigation

Meet Julianna

 Julianna with Dr. Chang

Julianna, and her mother Tracy, know firsthand how dangerous the holiday season can be. While at a family Christmas party, Julianna, just 20 months old, snuck away from the activities and was in the bathroom playing. A lit candle on the corner of the sink ignited her clothes. Tracy heard Julianna’s screams from down the hall, ran to the bathroom and saw her daughter’s dress on fire. She quickly put out the flames and family members called an ambulance.

Julianna suffered third-degree burns covering the left side of her body and spent three weeks at Shriners Hospitals for Children — Cincinnati. Julianna, now 8 years old, is doing well but faces ongoing treatment for her growing skin.

“We are very lucky,” said Tracy. “Julianna will be fine, thanks to the care she received at Shriners Hospitals and we’re happy to work with them to get the word out to prevent this from happening to others. We all get busy during the holidays, but it is so important for parents to make sure they are following basic safety tips to keep their kids safe.”