Visiting a patient
Guidelines for visiting
The healing process is enhanced by the support of family and friends. All visitors must check in at the reception desk in the hospital lobby where they will be given a visitor’s badge. Our hospital strives to maintain the highest level of patient care, professionalism, cleanliness and safety standards. In order to do so, we require these guidelines be followed:
- Suggested visiting hours are 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Parents/guardians or their representatives (if the parent/guardian is absent) may visit 24 hours a day. We encourage one parent/guardian to stay at the bedside – we provide a single cot, bed linens and shower facilities in the patient’s room.
- All visitors are asked to register at the main lobby reception desk daily before coming to the inpatient care unit.
- Children who are not patients are not allowed in the pre-op holding or recovery rooms.
- Patients may only have two visitors at a time.
- Visitors under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult when visiting.
- Visitors known to be ill or who have been exposed to communicable diseases are not allowed to visit.
- Any restrictions on visiting hours will be fully explained to the patient and family and are determined with their participation. Reasons for restricted visitation may include:
- The patient is undergoing care interventions
- Visitation may interfere with care of other patients
- Infection control issues
- Court orders that restrict contact with patient/family
- A particular visitor exhibits disruptive, threatening or violent behavior
- The patient requires privacy or rest
- Visitors must leave the unit if requested by nursing personnel.
- Visitors are asked to respect patient confidentiality.
- All visitors must wash their hands when they enter the patient’s room and prior to leaving; nursing staff will share any additional infection control measures that may be necessary.
- Latex (rubber) balloons are not allowed in the hospital. Patients may receive Mylar balloons.
- There is a cafeteria where visitors are welcome to purchase meals and snacks at their own expense. Cash only; no credit or debit cards are accepted.
- Vending machines are located just outside our cafeteria area.
- We do not have an on-site ATM machine. Our front desk receptionist can assist you in locating one nearby.
- Shriners Hospital is a tobacco-free facility. If you smoke or use other tobacco or smoking-related products, such as vapor or e-cigarettes, you must leave the hospital grounds to do so.
- The use of alcohol is not allowed on hospital grounds.